Saturday, February 2, 2008
Groundhog Day Musings
That yearly delimma is upon us. It is Groundhog Day! The day we contemplate the question of the season:

Will winter end early
or will we be forced to endure
cold weather
a while longer?



People have long followed the predictions of Punxsutawney Phil. Seems today he emerged from his home in the ground and proclaimed:

"As I look around me,
a bright sky I see,
and a shadow beside me.
Six more weeks of winter it will be!"

Gen. Beauregard Lee, Ph.D., Phil's friend in Lilburn, Ga. did not see his shadow at the Yellow River Game Ranch. So the good folks in Georgia have proclaimed the coming of an early spring! They proclaimed:

"Muff the EAR-MUFFS
YA'LL.

Beau did not see his shadow.
Look forward to an early spring!!!!"

If you are not sure you trust these fellows you can find a groundhog near you. Maybe his/her prediction will be just the one you are looking for. Go here to find many more.

Personally, I think I'll just go take a look outside and see what I can see. You can work this little puzzle while I'm gone--
Click to Mix and Solve

Well, here's my report from Middle Tennessee--
The sun is bright and it is cool--51*.
Hmm, according to Groundhog lore
that would mean any groundhogs
or other critters in my back yard
will see a a shadow.
More Winter!!
Bummer!!

But, WAIT JUST A MINUTE, this is TENNESSEE. So--It doesn't really matter what we see today. We'll have spring, then winter, then spring, then winter agian all the way until. . . Well, probably some cold weather all the way into MAY!

So, instead of worrying about the cold, or wishing for a Spring celebration, I think I'll just get me some hot chocolate and let the weather and seasons do what they will!

After all, there is THIS to remember:

Genesis 1:14
And God said,
"Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky
to separate the day from the night,
and let them serve as signs
to mark seasons and days and years,

Psalm 104:19
The moon marks off the seasons,
and the sun knows when to go down.

Labels: ,


  posted at 1:45 PM  
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At February 2, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Welcome to your new Katie from ours - she's home! Come over for a look!

You are so brave to attempt to put that furniture together - I am in awe! Anxious to hear the rest of the story.

Care Bear came home from kindergarten yesterday all full of the story of Phil. Our day started out cloudy, but the sun came out - but it's cold at 23. She's hoping for spring sooner than later.

 
At February 2, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I love these puzzles!!

 
At February 2, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Blogger Susan said...

We had a beautiful day here today, after a frigid week with lots of wind. Sure felt good.
Susan

 
At February 2, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Amen, Sister, preach on! Arkansas and Tennessee are close neighbors so our weather is very similar. I've always used the "look and see" system of weather forecasting.

Hope you're having a good weekend. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At February 2, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my 1 year blogging anniversary. Please come back and ask me a question so your name will go in for the drawing of my little give-away. Thanks!
Susan

 
At February 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Blogger ellen b. said...

Remember that great song from the 50's...what will be, will be, the future's not ours to see kay sera sera? Blessings

 
At February 3, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Blogger Cherdecor said...

I enjoyed your post about the groundhog.

I posted another post about Israel that you and your husband might be interested in. My husband gets an email with these videos on them.

Also, I have linked to my husband's blog at the side.

Hope you are having a blessed Lord's Day.

 
At February 3, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Myrna,
I don't know that I would attempt a project like putting that furniture together. You amaze me!
Loved your groundhog post. I was just helping my grandson "D" do a report this week. It was fun to learn some new things.
xo

 
At February 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Just let the seasons happen as they may.....great attitude!

 
At February 4, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I think your last paragraph sums it all up correctly. But I must admit I would absolutely LOVE an end to this cold, cold winter!

 
At February 4, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Blogger Julieann said...

HA HA!! This was such a fun post :) Made me smile.

Julieann

 
At February 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

I'm just catching up, Myrna...congratulations on your new grand-niece! She's beautiful!

I normally am so into finding out if the groundhog sees his shadow, except this year for me was the year of the Ground Hog flu. ;) So thank you...would you believe your post was the first news I had whether or not we'd have six more weeks of winter.
Oh well...with our weather right now, I'm not surprised.
And up here in the northwest, I guess we have to go with Punxsutawney Phil.
Brrrr.

 
At February 5, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

We don't see any groundhogs till at least May around these parts! They are smart, they stay put till it gets warm! Then they come out and eat my new seedlings that are just coming up or the tops off the tulips! I love 'em anyway and just plant extra for them! Congratulations on that new beautiful baby! What a cutie! God is soooooo good!!!

 
At February 6, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Blogger Needled Mom said...

What a precious little bright eyed baby girl! Congratulations.

I do hope that all that warm weather has not proved disastrous for you with those horrible tornados. Tennessee took it really hard.

My goodness but that is a small box for such a large item. I'll be checking back to see how you did. Just make sure you have all the parts (and in good condition) before you begin as it is no fun to have to "undo" it all to ship it back. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Family Birth Celebration and Some Randomness
Catching Up!
Lee
Dear Friends and Family
Who Am I?
Hello to the New Year!
I'm Baaaack!
God Is With Us!
Christmas Tour of Homes 2007
Tour of Homes--Postponed at the House of S

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: