Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Hello to the New Year!
WELCOME
2008!

I'm glad to see the old year go! It brought challenges and sadness. It also brought joy and rewards.

In our family we saw the passing of three very dear people that we loved. My brother, Charles; my husband's mother, Emma; and my dil Audre's mother, Rita all went home. We rejoice that they are with the Lord, but miss them all dearly.

My husband's illness has progressed and given us several challenges. He suffered cardiac arrest in February and, as a result, spent several days in ICU. He is now under care with Alive Hospice. We are extremely happy with the care he receives from his Hospice team. As always, Lee continues to search for God's plan for him. Since his illness took over life in 2005, he has been writing for a volunteer mission project which provides the gospel to many people, primarily in Asia countries. He has not been able to write much lately, but still believes that God has a reason for him being here.

We have also had good things happen in 2007. I discovered the world of blogging. I cannot express my joy in finding a community of women who have blessed me in so many ways. Because of Lee's illness, I retired from a career in education in 2006. It was difficult leaving my job as elementary school principal with busy interaction with hundreds of people every day. I was searching for ways to have interaction with other people while being pretty much confined to home. One day I very innocently wandered into the world of blogging . I found my answer to needing daily interaction with other people! Thank you, God, for the sweet women I have met through this amazing world.

Additionally, I had the great privilege of hosting a Bible study on Monday nights in the fall. That was my solution to missing Bible study at church--bring it to me. What a blessing those women were during those weeks. My attempt to share that on my blog did not work as I intended. It was really a mistake on several levels--I learned from the attempt and will try again sometime. I will be hosting another home Bible study starting in just a few weeks. I look forward to seeing what God does with the group as some of us gather again on Monday nights.

Our children and grandchildren have brought us great joy this year. We love watching all of the grands grow and learn. What an amazing foursome! We love their parents also! I consider all eight of them a blessing. I'm not sure what we did to deserve them, but we thank God for them continually!

So, goodbye, 2007,
with your surprises, good times,
challenges, and sadness!


Hello, 2008!!
Looking forward to the blessings of this year!

I am not a resolution person. I don't make them because there are too many possibilities for not following through. However, I do like having a plan. I learned a long time ago that most plans are better if they are flexible! The last two years have certainly confirmed that. About the time I think I have a good plan going for something, we have a surprise, a challenge, or a roadblock. So, my plans for 2008 are VERY flexible! But here are a few of the things I am exploring for this year.

1. Bible Study--I am planing to get a little more discipline into my Bible study. As a part of that plan, today I started a new devotional book. I look forward to spending a few minutes each day with Jonie Eareckson Tada in her book, Pearls of Great Price.
Joni has quite a phenomenal personal story of overcoming difficulties in life. I'm sure I can learn from her. Joni and my husband worked together several years ago when he produced her video-based bible study, Heaven, Your Real Home. I have never had the opportunity to meet Joni, but Lee has a great admiration and love for her and her ministry. I have some other ideas in mind for discipline in study--I'll be sharing as I go along.

2. Bible Study and Interaction--I am going to facilitate a Beth Moore Bible study at my home. We will begin in just a few weeks, using the recently released study, Stepping Up. I had the pleasure of going to part of the taping for this study in late summer, 2006. I'm looking forward to studying with Beth once again via video.

3. Home decor--I'm planning to "freshen up" some of the decor in our house. We have a couple of rooms that need some work. I think I will start with one of the extra bedrooms. I want to make it into a room for the grands to enjoy. They need a place to hang out with games, videos, and--of course--Ella's dolls. I'm thinking of getting rid of the bed and bringing in a sleeper sofa, painting, new curtains, etc. I'll keep you posted on my progress. If I get this project finished, I may tackle some other rooms.

4. Organization--If I were making resolutions I would have my hands full just promising to get more organized! I'm not promising that. However, I do have plans to address some specific organizational tasks; namely family pictures and the garage. Believe me--It may take me all year if I do this right!

4. Knitting--
I am teaching myself to knit. Actually I did some knitting back in the
day--not much, but enough to know some of the basics. I have been practicing for awhile. I hope to actually choose a project before long. I also am considering dusting off the long dormant, minimal crochet skills I once had. We'll see how this goes. Again--I'll keep you posted!


5. Sewing--I plan to sew a little--I also have dormant skills here. I'm not at all interested in making clothes, but there are some home decor and crafty things I may tackle. This is in the same category as knitting. I have to give it a try to see if I really want to do it. Flexibility!




5. Reading--
Of course I plan to READ! That is a must for any year.
I always have a book or two in progress.



6. Blogging and Technology--I plan to blog and, at the same time, sharpen some computer skills. There are still some things I would like to be able to do that I have not mastered yet. Most of these tasks involve the every pesky html! ARGHH!




7. Family--Perhaps my most important plan is to ENJOY MY FAMILY. I love having the grands around and doing things with them. I plan to find more time to enjoy being with those precious little people--and their parents are
welcome to come along for the fun!





8. Husband--Caring for my husband is my priority during this season of our lives. All these other possibilities and plans must fit around what he needs and our time together. We have shared over thirty-eight years of marriage. I have not forgotten that my vow was to love, honor, and cherish. My plans for doing just that come before all others.

So, as you can see, I want to stay busy and occupied with a variety of useful/productive activities this year! Of course others needs and interests will come along during the year, but for now this should keep me busy. What are you planning to accomplish and enjoy in this brand new year. I look forward to hearing about it as we share via blogs.

Let's remember to take a break for fun occasionally. Here's a little puzzle to get you started.


Click to Mix and Solve

Labels: ,


  posted at 12:01 PM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At January 2, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy and blessed New Year, Myrna! Hope this is the best one ever for all of us. ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At January 2, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Blogger ellen b. said...

A very happy New Year to you and yours Myrna! Blessings as you live out God's life for you. Praying for Joy in the daily stuff that comes your way...

 
At January 2, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Great, wonderful goals. I am excited to hear you are going to make another stab at an Blog Bible Study. Hope it will be a format that I will be able to participate in. I would love that Myrna and I know you would be a blessing to each of us.

Happy New Year to you my dear sweet friend.
Susan

 
At January 2, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Blogger someone else said...

What a lovely, upbeat post to welcome the new year. I'm glad you started blogging, too.

 
At January 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I love your wonderful attitude! Wishing you the best in 2008!

 
At January 3, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a great set of goals. I USED TO sew, knit and crochet. Haven't done any for a long time. I bought yarn for Kristen the other day for her new project and discovered that yarn has changed alot since "the day" you referred to!

I'm glad Lee is still here and being used by God. What a great man he must be. I am so glad we found each other - I don't remember how that happened.

 
At January 3, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your goals look wonderful, Myrna! Happy New Year to you and your family! May you have a blessed 2008.
Love,
Kelli

 
At January 5, 2008 at 1:08 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

I love reading your goals, Myrna- they all sound wonderful...I remembered how to knit last year when my little girl had a lesson...my time when my grandma taught me all came rushing back and my fingers suddenly "remembered"! Last winter my little seven year old and I knitted a lot...not so well, but still...I want to do that again now too that Christmas is over!

Myrna, I pray God's blessing on you this year!

 
At January 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful post Myrna! You inspire me with all that you do and want to do in 2008. May the year be good to you and Lee and rich with blessings!! xoxox

 
At January 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your plans sound great. We both know that even the best laid plans can change, but the good part is that God is always in control.

Happy 2008 and may you feel His presence surround you each and every day.

 
At January 5, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Blogger Myra said...

I think you are going to be busy. I am a teacher. I noticed that you are a retired principal. Thank you for all that you did investing your life into students and teachers as well..

I liked what you said about paying attention to your husband's needs.

Stop by my blog. I have a new adventure!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
I'm Baaaack!
God Is With Us!
Christmas Tour of Homes 2007
Tour of Homes--Postponed at the House of S
O, Holy NIght
Show and Tell--A Christmas Treasure
It's Time to Rock Around that Tree!
Christmas Tree Treasures--Our Nativity Tree
Josh Groban Montage - What Child Is This
Boomama's Soup-Tacular

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: