Monday, December 10, 2007
Christmas Tree Treasures--Our Nativity Tree
Morning Glory, who is always thinking of interesting things for us to do, is the hostess for Christmas Tree Treasures. You might want to go on over to Seeds From My Garden and get in on the fun.

Morning Glory has offered some questions/topics to guide us. I have added a couple of subjects to help tell the story of this tree.

We have two Christmas trees. One is in our family room and has all kinds of ornaments on it from angels to Santa Claus and Snowmen. It is the one where we will put the gifts. The family will gather there to share those gifts.

The tree I'm sharing today is in our living room. It is a relatively small tree--at least it is thin. I call it our Nativity Tree. We have been doing this tree for about eight or nine years. I really like having it as a part of our Christmas traditions.



* The tree topper.
This pretty little angel sits atop this tree. She symbolizes the angels who announced the birth of Jesus to the shepherds on that night long ago.



* The tree skirt.
I don't use a real tree skirt on this tree. The tree in the family room has a red and green sparkly skirt, you can see when we have the tour-o-homes next week. I keep looking for just the right skirt for this tree and haven't found it yet. I use a combination of a length of fabric that started life as a sheer window curtain and a velvet throw with beaded fringe.

The important "base-of-the-tree" item on this tree is the ceramic nativity set that I put there each year. It sits on top of my improvised tree skirt. It was made by a very good friend and given to me by my husband for my birthday several years ago. Our friend did some remarkable pottery and nativity sets during the time this was his hobby. He has moved on to a more dangerous hobby (He built an airplane and flies it!). We can no longer get these very special items. Putting this in place is one of the highlights of decorating for the season.


* What goes on your tree first?
I don't have a particular item that goes on first. I do put some plain gold ball ornaments on first so I can get them into the center of the tree and near lights so they reflect some of the sparkle. And then the nativity ornaments go on!


•Some of the Nativity-themed ornaments.
All of the ornaments on this tree have to do with Jesus. Some of them are sets that tell all or a part of the story of the Baby's birth. Some are individual ornaments depicting one element of the story. We have collected ornaments when we travel and some have been gifts. They are all treasured.



You may have to take my word for it! (Photography is not my strong point! )These have gold pictures of the three wise men on them. There are several of them on the tree.




This is a little five piece set that has
Mary and the Baby,
Joseph, and three Wise Men.





This is a sweet little set that has the traditional figures you see in a Nativity scene. I hang them all over the tree. Some people will look and look trying to find all of the pieces. :-)





Here is a set of white and gold
woodenplaque-like ornaments
that tell the story





Of course there lots of angels, some stars, and a few little churches. This is a sampling of the angels on the tree.






I have some ornaments I save to go on the tree last.

These are olive wood ornaments that we bought in Israel when we were there in 2000 for the taping of the Beth Moore Bible Study, Jesus the One and Only. (My husband was the executive producer for that project and other video-based Bible studies until he retired in 2005). These ornaments are the typical tourist ornaments that many travelers to Israel buy. They are a lovely reminder of a very cherished time in our lives.


• Here is this year's version of the Nativity Tree.
This tree is one we used in an apartment we lived in when our house was being built. It is a "skinny" tree and fits right in this little spot in our living room. I almost replaced it this year, but decided it would go one more time.




Thank you for stopping by.
Go on over to Morning Glory's
now and find more
Christmas Tree Treasures.

Labels: ,


  posted at 8:00 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At December 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM, Blogger ellen b. said...

What a great idea to have a Nativity tree! I'm looking forward to next Monday too, to see everyones homes...
Blessings..

 
At December 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh Myrna, this is fabulous! I love your idea for a nativity tree. I've never heard of anyone doing this and it's really wonderful. Thanks for posting this.

 
At December 10, 2007 at 10:57 PM, Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I always, always have to have my nativity set under my tree and an angel hanging above it. I like your nativity tree very much!

 
At December 11, 2007 at 12:39 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I LOVE the nativity tree. It's beautiful. Thanks for stopping by for a visit over here in "paradise."!

 
At December 11, 2007 at 7:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is the coolest thing. A Nativity tree. I love that.

The ornaments are so baeautiful and special.

Great traditions!!!

 
At December 11, 2007 at 11:11 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

What a beautiful Nativity tree...and I love this idea! Thank you for sharing it with us, Myrna!

 
At December 11, 2007 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I echo everyone else - I love the Nativity tree idea - I've never thought of it!
So beautiful!

And to be in on the taping of a Beth Moore Bible study must have been a fabulous experience! How fun!

 
At December 12, 2007 at 6:30 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh Myrna, I just LOVE your nativity tree and all the ornaments are just so precious! Also love the larger figures on the floor in front of the tree...beautiful!! xox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Josh Groban Montage - What Child Is This
Boomama's Soup-Tacular
Somebody Is Having a Birthday!
Trying to Be Safe in a World Full of Craziness
Boomama's Soup-tacular!
Alphabet Soup--Letter O--Christmas Version
Do You Wear Holiday Fashions? Yes, No, or Occasion...
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Friday Show and Tell--Christmas Village Delight
A;phabet Soup--Brought To You By the Letter N

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: