Thursday, June 28, 2007
June 28, 1969
Today is our anniversary!
Number 38!!



June 28, 1969

We were twenty-three years old. Well, Lee was soon to turn 24. He was a seminary student. He finished his degree two weeks later. I was an elementary school teacher. We were married at the church where we met--in Watson Chapel of University Baptist in Fort Worth. We didn't actually meet at the church, but we were with church friends when we met. We planned and paid for most of the wedding celebration ourselves so it was not an extravagant affair, but it was nice and just right for us. Our families were there along with a few of my college and high school friends, and mutual friends from our church and the seminary. I told more about the ceremony, our unique first meeting and our wedding in a post here.

This is my Daddy, Charlie. I always called him Daddy. I was the youngest of his four children. He had a step-daughter five years younger than me. I was the third daughter he walked down the aisle. My mother died when I was in the first grade. She was not with us for any of our weddings, but I know she would love the family that was founded on that day. Daddy died twenty years later, after a long and difficult Alzheimer's journey.

Lee and his mother smiled for the camera in the pastor's study before the ceremony. Emma is a sweet and dedicated Christian woman. She is 92 years old now and still has her own home. She lives near Lee's brother and his family in North Carolina. When we married, she lived in Florida. I think she thought she was coming to the end of the world when she came to Texas for the wedding! Lee's father had passed away less than a year before we married. I am so thankful that I met him the summer of 1968, just a few weeks before he went home to heaven. I visited Lee's family in Florida and met his parents then. His Dad was a great tease--He called me Tex.


So here we are after the festivities of the evening, ready to leave the church and start our life together. Do you remember how girls always had a "going away dress." and wore a corsage from the bridal bouquet? Look! He has hair and I'm down right skinny! Those were the days!

We were not sure what God had planned for us, but we knew we would do it together. We really were clueless. Which was probably a good thing! If we had known all the twists and turns in our future we would really have been overwhelmed--with the challenges and the unbelievable blessings that were to come our way.

We really have had a very blessed life. I don't mean it has always been easy and we have had no problems. We have had peaks and valleys--some very high peaks, and some extremely low valleys--just like most people. However, God has always guided us through the hardships and celebrated the joys with us.

The two greatest blessings we have had are our sons, Greg and Kevin. The greatest sorrow was the loss of our infant daughter, Dawn Marie. We feel that God led our sons to the wives He chose for them. Audre' (Greg) and Holly (Kevin) are wonderful Godly women. We are so thankful they are in our family. Of course the grandchildren are absolutely the "icing on the cake." Joshua and Isaiah are Kevin's children; Luke and Ella are Greg's. Our family is our most significant blessing, achievement, and reward in life.

We, with the guidance and blessing of God, founded this family in that chapel in Texas thirty-eight years ago today. We may have been somewhat naive and clueless, but God was not. Others may have been skeptical, but God was not. We have definitely made mistakes along the way, but God has not. He always knows what He is doing.

Thank you, Lord, for June 28, 1969 and all the days since.




Labels: , , ,


  posted at 10:00 AM  
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At June 28, 2007 at 4:47 PM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

What a beautiful post! I loved every word of it! I am thankful too that God was at the wheel and not me when it came to picking out a husband, I would've surely made a mess of things but He knew just who and what I needed. We celebrated our 36th anniversary in May and I like you am thankful for all of it, the ups and the downs. We were certainly naive too and if we had known of the physical hardships husband was going to have to endure we would have been totally overwhelmed too. God is good, he spares us from all that useless worrying that we would do if we knew what was ahead! Thank you for sharing your story with us all!!! xoxox Yes, I had a going away dress too and now I could probably fit one leg into it only! ha!

 
At June 28, 2007 at 7:13 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy anniversary, dear heart! I love the pictures, and what sweet memories you have.

June 28th is a special date for me because it was my Mama's birthday. She would have been 78 years old today.

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At June 28, 2007 at 7:59 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

Best wishes to both of you...what a great looking couple!
Yes,you were young,but you had God with you ..how could you not be blessed ? He has someone special for each of us,I know,I put out a request and he sent me exactly what I ask for over 30 years ago...and I wouldn't trade him for anyone!

 
At June 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on another year together. We are very blessed to have an example like the two of you in our lives. We are thankful that God continues bless and use you.
We love you,
Kevin, Holly and the boys

 
At June 28, 2007 at 9:08 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you!! Don't the years just fly by?
You were a beautiful bride. It's so true - life is full of joys and sorrows. I don't know how we would do it without the Lord.
Have a very special day.

 
At June 28, 2007 at 9:38 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

What a beautiful post, Myrna and you are such a lovely couple!!

**Happy Anniversary!!!**

Kelli

 
At June 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM, Blogger Susan said...

What a beautify bridge you were!

I nominated you for an award ---come check it out!!
Susan

 
At June 29, 2007 at 10:25 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to the two of you!!!
Such a beautiful post and wonderful wedding photos!
(I had to furnish most of the wedding expenses myself, too, so ours was also simple, but nice.)
I am always so blessed when I stop by here...so please come stop by today- there's a surprise for you! :)

 
At June 29, 2007 at 2:03 PM, Blogger Momma Roar said...

Such a sweet post - I love all the pictures - you were a beautiful bride! We just celebrated 11 years - my hubby still has his hair - but I am no longer skinny! Hee hee :D

 
At June 29, 2007 at 3:27 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Myrna, we cleaned carpet and house the last couple of days and I haven't read many blogs....so Happy Belated Anniversary.....You were a beautiful bride and I enjoyed hearing your story......thanks for coming to see me.....Betty

 
At June 29, 2007 at 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A day late, but I hope you had a wonderful anniversary!

 
At June 29, 2007 at 11:12 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Oh Myrna, this was lovely! Happy Anniversary a day late. You left me smiling!!

I've got so much catching up to do.

 
At July 1, 2007 at 3:36 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Dear Myrna,
What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to the wonderful gift of your long and happy marriage.
I loved seeing the old photos! You're right, everyone had to have a going away dress and corsage from her bouquet.
Happy happy (belated!) anniversary to the two of you!!
hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Randomness Abounds
Be Thou My Vision--With Fernando Instead of Travis...
Be Thou My Vision
Woman to Woman"Share an important quote and what i...
Oh My Goodness! Computer Problems!
Show and Tell--Bible Study Treasure
Home Again, Home Again. . .
Tomorrow's Life Adventure
New look for Cherish. . .the word!
Happy Father's DayToMy Husband, LeeAndOur Sons,Gre...

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: