Friday, December 14, 2007
Show and Tell--A Christmas Treasure
It's Friday! That means it is time for Show and Tell!
Do you have a treasure to share?
Run on over to Kelli's and get in on the fun!

We have a collection of Nativity scenes and sets. We have collected them from a variety of places. some we have bought ourselves from places we have traveled; others have been gifts. Some of the pieces are actually tree ornaments that we hang on our "Nativity Tree" that is in our living room each year. I shared that tree earlier this week.

The Nativity that I'm sharing today is the first one in the collection. My husband gave it to me Christmas 1971. We moved to Tennessee early that year. We had experienced a lot of change and endured the added grief of losing an infant daughter that year. This was the first Christmas that we would not be with family. We could not travel to be with family because we were expecting another child and the doctor had advised me to not travel. Although we were excited about the coming birth of another child that Christmas was a lonely time for us.

Lee brought this to me before Christmas. It has always been one my most precious Christmas memories.
I put this one on the floor and let the children move the figures around. At first the figures were glued to the wood. They, long ago, came loose Therefore, our two sons and all of their children have played with these figures as they have learned the story of the Baby Jesus. The Baby goes missing for awhile almost every year, but he always turns up! Now there is one wise man missing. I imagine it will show up some where in the Christmas decorations when I least expect it! :-)

This precious picture is of Lee and our oldest son, Greg. Greg was not quite two in this picture. He is the child we were waiting for when Lee gave this Nativity scene to me. His little brother, Kevin, was born not long after the Christmas of this picture. (Yes, I know G looks big for a child who is not yet two--He was! He is a tall man)!

Thank you for coming by so I could share this Christmas treasure with you. I hope you are enjoying the days leading up to Christmas.

Labels: ,


  posted at 12:56 PM  
  14 comments



14 Comments:
At December 14, 2007 at 3:54 PM, Blogger Robin said...

I remember having a Nativity like that when I was a child. I wish I still had it! If I had the room I would love to collect Nativities - they have always fascinated me!
Thank you for sharing that precious memory.

 
At December 14, 2007 at 4:21 PM, Blogger ellen b. said...

I love nativity sets that kids can play with. We have a little wooden one that has a few cuts and bruises! It's wonderful to have precious memories to go with our things...
Blessings...

 
At December 14, 2007 at 6:40 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh Myrna, what a precious nativity with such a beautiful story behind it! Love the picture showing that same nativity with Lee and son:-) When my boys were little I would always put the nativity on the floor under the tree so that they could play with the figures and place them. Wonderful memories:-) xox

 
At December 14, 2007 at 6:52 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Very special for your children. Merry Christmas

 
At December 14, 2007 at 6:52 PM, Blogger Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us. As a child we had a nativity that we children could play with and I spent many an hour doing just that. My younger sister has it now and I still love seeing it.

 
At December 14, 2007 at 6:55 PM, Blogger Kathy b said...

I enjoyed reading the story behind your nativity set. Whay is it the baby Jesus is the one that always disapears ?

 
At December 14, 2007 at 7:54 PM, Blogger nancy said...

Thank you for sharing your memories.
Nancy

 
At December 15, 2007 at 12:08 AM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

We had a Nativity almost exactly like yours when I was a child, Myrna. I've always lived within 5 miles of my birthplace here in Northeast Arkansas, so I wonder if our Nativities are exactly alike? Unfortunately our Nativity burned in my parents' house fire in 1987, but I still have my memories....

Have a wonderful weekend and Merry Christmas, Myrna! ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At December 15, 2007 at 7:06 AM, Blogger Sondra said...

You nativity looks similar to an old one I have of my moms. I think that is a wonderful item to collect. I have only seen very few nativity ornaments. Maybe you could show us some of yours. I would love to see them.

 
At December 15, 2007 at 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the two pictures and the story!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

 
At December 15, 2007 at 10:53 AM, Blogger Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I also collect Nativity sets and will start posting them soon. I'm going to join in the Tour of Homes, I'm trying to get all my pictures to my blog. My computer crashed last week and I lost a bunch.

I enjoyed seeing and reading about your two Nativities, (touching stories) I look forward to seeing more!

Katherine

 
At December 15, 2007 at 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just love this! I hope to someday have a special nativity for grandkids, too...someday :o)

 
At December 15, 2007 at 7:03 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Myrna,
Your nativity set is such a wonderful keepsake. The story behind is truly touching.
xo

 
At December 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Myrna, your nativity set is just beautiful and what a wonderful treasure to have. Our nativity is under our Christmas tree and gets played with everyday!
Hugs,
Kelli

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
It's Time to Rock Around that Tree!
Christmas Tree Treasures--Our Nativity Tree
Josh Groban Montage - What Child Is This
Boomama's Soup-Tacular
Somebody Is Having a Birthday!
Trying to Be Safe in a World Full of Craziness
Boomama's Soup-tacular!
Alphabet Soup--Letter O--Christmas Version
Do You Wear Holiday Fashions? Yes, No, or Occasion...
O Come, All Ye Faithful

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: