Friday, December 7, 2007
Boomama's Soup-Tacular
It's A Soup-Tacular!

I started to pass on this, but it's just too easy to do. AND--I don't like to be left out of the fun! So--Here goes! I don't cook anything very complicated. So, if you're looking for something easy to prepare, this is your place!

Gp to Boomama's to find HUNDREDS more soup recipes! After all, it is Soup
Season!

Tortilla Soup
Now, I know every one and her sister does some version of this one, but it is our favorite. I have used so many versions of this soup, I have really forgotten where I got it. The great thing about this recipe is that you can easily adjust it to what you have in the pantry/refrigerator.

• 2 lbs. ground meat--browned and drained==Or--Cooked chicken cut in cubes or strips--Or, if you are in a hurry just pour in 2-3 cans of chili without beans!
• 1 small onion chopped
• 3 cans stewed tomatoes
• 1 can (16 ox.) pinto beans, undrained
• 1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, undrained
• 1 can (16 oz.) sweet corn, drained
• 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilis, undrained--optional OR use Rotel tomatoes and adjust the amount of stewed tomatoes you use.
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 package taco seasoning
• 1 package ranch style salad dressing mix
• salt and pepper to taste
• Shredded cheddar cheese--optional
• Tortilla strips

Brown meat and onion, drain. Add remaining ingredients, cover and reduce heat. Simmer one hour. Top individual servings with tortilla strips and cheese. I have also prepared this in a slow cooker.

Actually, this is a great basic soup that you can customize to your own needs/liking. You can change the meat just about anyway you like it. We use chicken more than beef. The vegetables can also be adjusted. You can use whatever beans you happen to have in the pantry. I often use green beans instead of pinto because we like it that way. Hominy can be substituted for the corn. I even put potatoes in sometimes--a couple of potatoes cubed or a can of diced new potatoes, drained. Just adjust the vegetables anyway that works for you.
Ranchero Supper Stew
Just a simple, delicious beef stew!

• 2 Tablespoons oil
• 1-11/2 pounds beef cubes
• 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
• 1 (16 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained
• 1 cup water
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 carrots, sliced thin
• 1/2 cup celery, sliced thin
• 2 potatoes, diced

Brown beef in oil. Add onion soup mix, tomatoes, water, and chili powder. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes. Cook covered for one hour.

Labels: ,


  posted at 12:08 AM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At December 7, 2007 at 5:07 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

This sounds good! I have never attempted tortilla soup before, but I think I need to try it!

And I was just catching up...a happy birthday to your sister!
Look how sweet you both look! I love seeing childhood pictures and this one's adorable!

 
At December 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM, Blogger Cherdecor said...

I have never heard of Tortilla soup. I think I need to try that in the coming months of cold weather.

 
At December 7, 2007 at 9:31 PM, Blogger Be Inspired Always said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 7, 2007 at 9:32 PM, Blogger Be Inspired Always said...

Great sounding soup. In the wintry months I'm certainly a soup kind of girl, thank you for this.




Jillian

 
At December 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

MMM....I just love soup during this time of year. Thank you for the yummy recipes!

Hugs,
Kelli

 
At December 8, 2007 at 9:18 AM, Blogger ellen b. said...

Yum, yum, yummy, Myrna! Have a marvelous weekend hopefully having some soup!

 
At December 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

MMMM...I love soup! Thanks for sharing the recipes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Somebody Is Having a Birthday!
Trying to Be Safe in a World Full of Craziness
Boomama's Soup-tacular!
Alphabet Soup--Letter O--Christmas Version
Do You Wear Holiday Fashions? Yes, No, or Occasion...
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Friday Show and Tell--Christmas Village Delight
A;phabet Soup--Brought To You By the Letter N
It's That Time of Year!
Lifting Up Sweet Carolyn

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: