Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Alphabet Soup--Letter O--Christmas Version
Alphabet Soup is hosted by Morning Glory at Seeds From My Garden. Why don't you go over to her place and get all the scoop on participating. We have fun with it every Wednesday!

OOPS! I just checked at Morning Glory's and she is not hosting Alphabet Soup today. Hmmm--Oh Well, I have it ready to go up, so I'm going to leave it. I'll adjust next week!

Here is my list of things in my life that "bring me joy, happiness, or just plain humor." This is a Christmas Version of Alphabet Soup, brought to you by the letter O.


O Holy Night--One of my favorite songs of the season. It is definitely one of the carols that reminds me best that amidst all the hustle and bustle I must stop and remember why we celebrate--"It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth!"

Others--My husband and I enjoy the giving part of Christmas. It has always been one of our joys to choose gifts for our children. The shopping (online now), wrapping, and watching them open the gifts are highlights of our Christmas. We have also enjoyed sharing parts of Christmas through the years with friends. Our social life is somewhat limited now because of illness, but we still look forward to visits from friends during the season. We treasure the memories of parties, dinners, gift-giving, and visits we have shared with family and friends during this blessed season.

Others also include people that we reach out to in ministry through gifts to the Christmas Toy Store, mission offerings through church, contributions to organizations like Second Harvest Food Bank, and my husband's writing through a radio ministry called Christ to the World. Any effort to help others, at Christmas or other times of the year, enriches our lives as well as those we seek to assist.

Oranges--When I was a little girl we always got an orange in the toe of our stocking on Christmas morning. I remember that we used our own socks for hanging. My sister and I would always talk Daddy into loaning us one of his--for obvious reasons! We also could expect nuts, a candy cane, and perhaps a candy bar, and a small toy. You can go here for a history of the Christmas stocking.
Okra Pickles--This may be the best kept secret of Christmas dinner at my house. I have served them almost every year. I think I am the only person who eats them! But, I want them at Christmas; so, they are right there along with the sweet gherkins and deviled eggs that others in the family look forward to. If you've never had them, I recommend you give them a try. Look here for the brand I buy--note the Texas connection! "Makes Your Mouth Happy!"

Orient--The story of the three Magi from the East is told in the song, "We Three Kings of Orient Are " The story was first told in Matthew 2. You can read it here.
Ornaments--Don't you just love putting the ornaments on the tree, recalling where or when you got each one, choosing just the spot you where you want to hang it on the tree. When you think about it, that is a strange custom! Exactly why do we do we hang ornaments on trees for Christmas? You can read the legend here.
Organization--Yes, it has something to do with Christmas! I have my decorations fairly well organized. However, I think this year before I put things away I will do a purge and downsize a little. That means I will have to reorganize the bins and boxes before they are put away for 2008. I may need to check this out.

(Jolly) Ole St. Nicholas--I love the original version of this children's Christmas song. I found this new little ditty while cruising through You*Tube. A little parody just for fun--



PLEASE, SANTA, DON'T CHANGE YOUR WAYS!!!

Labels: ,


  posted at 12:06 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At December 5, 2007 at 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We used to get an orange and a pure sugar candy peppermint stick, which we would stick in the orange and suck the juice out of the orange like a straw. Oh, I looked so forward to that treat. I recreated it last year, and had so much fun.

 
At December 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I'm glad you went ahead and did "o" Myrna because it is a wonderful list. Don't you just love this time of year?
Blessings dear friend.

 
At December 5, 2007 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Cute post. Loved the Christmas theme. My how spoiled my boys are with their stockings. I want to see those ornaments before you purge. I want Kevin to find his. I would love to do a small tree with his, mine, and the boys. I would like to let them do it all. I bet it would be cute if they wouldn't fuss while doing it. Love you and hope today was a better day.
Holly

 
At December 5, 2007 at 5:57 PM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

My mom talks about getting an orange in their stocking on Christmas morning too!

 
At December 5, 2007 at 6:22 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Myrna, this was a fun take on the O theme. I've never heard of okra pickles, but I do like fried okra, if it's done properly.

Sorry I forgot, but this has just been a busy time and it completely slipped my mind.

 
At December 5, 2007 at 7:46 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Hi Myrna,
What a delightful meme you did with the letter "O". We used to get oranges in our stockings too!
The most surprising to me was your Okra pickles. That brand is a must have at our house. (We like the Hot)
They are about 4.00 per bottle here, so one year I got ambitious and went and picked the fresh okra and pickled my own. (they were OK, but I'm back to buying them in jars!!)
xo

 
At December 5, 2007 at 10:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a fun list. Good job!

 
At December 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM, Blogger Julieann said...

My daughter just loves pickeled okra!!! I used to buy it all the time when we were in Georgia last year:) I will have to look for it here.

I really enjoyed this post!

Julieaann

 
At December 6, 2007 at 9:33 AM, Blogger ellen b. said...

I have my soup post already for tomorrow and I'm excited to see more recipes. I love soup! Love your o's...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Do You Wear Holiday Fashions? Yes, No, or Occasion...
O Come, All Ye Faithful
Friday Show and Tell--Christmas Village Delight
A;phabet Soup--Brought To You By the Letter N
It's That Time of Year!
Lifting Up Sweet Carolyn
Thanksgiving Wrap-Up
HappyThanksgiving!!!"How 'bout a nice juicy steak?...
Alphabet Soup
Thanksgiving Praise

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: