Thursday, November 8, 2007
A Blessing Named Ella
I'm going to be a typical grandmother today. All four of my grands are special; each with his/her own sweet personality. I LOVE them all! Today, though, I'm going to talk about Ella.

Ella is at that very precious stage of life when a child can say the sweetest--or the "darndest" things. Ella is very exuberant and thoroughly enjoys life. I hope she never loses that characteristic.

Yesterday her mother came by our house to get Ella's brother, Luke . He had been spending some time with us after school. She left Ella in the car when she ran in to say hello to Lee. So, I went out to speak to the princess. She exuberantly greeted me--as if she had not seen me for months-- by throwing her arms out for a hug and yelling "GRANMAMA!"

Then, her very sweet little voice, she said, "How's Poppy today? Does he want to see me?"

She is very sure that seeing her would make his day. And--she's correct!

A couple of months ago Ella, and the people who live with her, came over to visit on a Sunday afternoon. She obviously had the Bible story from Sunday School on her mind. She said, "Sit down, Granmama. I'm goin' to read you a story."

Of course, I sat down. Never pass up the chance to have a three year-old "read" or tell you a story!

She picked up my Bible, opened it to the middle and proceeded to "read" the story. It went something like this. (Try to imagine the sweet little lisping voice of a three-year-old who doesn't quite have all the speech sounds or the grammatical nuances of pronouns, etc. mastered.)

"Moses was a little baby. He was in a basket. Uh, Granmama, do you know he Mama name?"

My mind went blank, so I stuttered a little as I replied, "It's, uh,--I can't remember, but his sister's name was Miriam. Didn't she watch him in the basket?" (Believe me, I looked it up later--Jochebed--Exodus 6:20; Numbers 26:59)

Ella looked at the Bible and said, "That's right. He sister name Mirum. He mama name sumpin else. And he in the basket."

"Uh, granmama, what he granfather name?"

"Well," I answered, "Ella, I'm not sure the Bible tell us that."

Now, it may be in some "begats" somewhere, but I wasn't going there with her! Besides I wanted to know what would happen next!

"Oh, Granmama, you know! He grandfather Jesus!"

"Now, Ella, Jesus was not Moses' grandfather."

Before I could go further she exclaimed, "Oh, yes it is! But what Jesus daddy name?"

"That would be Joseph."

"And, Granmama, what Jesus mama name?"

"Mary."

"Oh, that's right! Joseph he daddy and Mary he mama!"

"Now! Moses in the basket with he grandfather. Moses in the basket with Jesus, Mary and Joseph!"

With that she closed the Bible and looked at me with a smile of accomplishment. She had "read" me a Bible story.

That must have been some basket! I know Ella will get all those people straightened out someday. She will learn the difference in Old Testament and New Testament. She will learn the true story of Jesus and know that he died on the cross for her. She may even be able to remember Moses' mother's name when her grandchild asks someday! For now, I just thank God that she has parents who make sure she is having the opportunity to hear and learn those stories. She is blessed. She is a blessing.


Labels:


  posted at 4:46 PM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At November 8, 2007 at 5:12 PM, Blogger Midlife Cycler said...

Truly, what more could you even ask for, to know your precious grand daughter is going to hear Gods word in the home and carry it with her in her life. You are blessed...thanks for sharing. And I love that name, Ella.
Jody

 
At November 8, 2007 at 6:37 PM, Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

That young'un looks just like her Granmama! ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

 
At November 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Awwww! She is so sweet, and I LOVE her cheeks!! What a great Bible story. LOL!! =o)

 
At November 8, 2007 at 8:22 PM, Blogger Susan said...

How precious!!!
Susan

 
At November 8, 2007 at 9:26 PM, Blogger Suzy said...

What a precious child!!You have to get a journal and write these things down! You think you'll remember them word for word but over the years you just don't.I did this with my kids and now with the grandkids. We love reading it every few years and having a laugh or two!

 
At November 9, 2007 at 5:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, that is precious. Get the Word in her young. Right or ... confused ... she is going straight to the source with the bible on her lap. So cute.

I love that name too. Such a good strong old fashioned name.

 
At November 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Those are the most pinchable cheeks I've ever seen! Ella looks like she should be on the Welch's jelly commercial - what a doll!

And what a precious story she read you. I'm glad you were able to be blessed like that!

 
At November 9, 2007 at 2:43 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

There is nothing like a 3-year-old who is like a little sponge. Feisty and I get to spend a lot of time together lately and it is such fun! Aren't we blessed?

 
At November 11, 2007 at 12:29 PM, Blogger Susie said...

What an absolutely precious post. Your blog has these delightful details preserved for all time :)
Ella has the sweetest little face..
xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Confessions of An Avid Reader/Book Lover
In Christ Alone--Travis Cottrell
Show and Tell--A New Treasure
Halloween 2007
Alphabet Soup--Brought to You By the Letter K
Have You Been to a Pumpkin Patch?
Well, Hello!
Mother, Grandma, G-Ma
Sometimes a girl needs a little quiet time!I'm tak...
Fall Bible Study

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: