Tuesday, June 12, 2007
WOMAN TO WOMAN--HAVING THE LATEST, GREATEST
It is Woman to Woman time. If you would like to participate please run on over to Seeds From My Garden and let Morning glory know you want to get in on the fun. Here is our topic for the day:

This topic will be particularly relevant to today's young mothers. There is such a variety of baby products available in stores that it can be overwhelming. Add to that the pressure you often feel from your peers to have the latest and greatest of baby equipment. Add to that still the bombardment of products that promise to make your baby smarter, faster. When you want to be hip AND have those things that make mommying a little easier, how do you keep from breaking the budget?

For those women who are past the child-raising stage, do you have difficulty with these pressures in wanting to provide the "goodies" for the grandchildren? Do you see them as a hindrance towards a child's natural ability to develop? What were some ways that you were able to achieve similar benefits without all the bells and whistles?"

"Having the latest baby everything..."


I have thought and thought about this topic. I have tried to remember what it was like to want "the latest baby everything" when my children were born and I have tried to relate to it as a grandmother. As I was about to come to the conclusion that I really don't have much to contribute, I happened to recall a family story.

This little story pretty much sums up how I have come to view the idea of needing the latest or most popular of anything. Granted, the story does not speak to such things as baby equipment, but it is an example of working with what you have, even without all the bells and whistles. My grandson, S Guy, who was five at the time, provided a real-life illustration of the concept of stepping out of the race for the latest brand name whatchamacallit-especially for children.

S Guy is a very creative and innovative child. He loves to draw and make things. While he was at our home for Thanksgiving we had a piece of furniture delivered. It came in a box. S immediately asked the delivery men if he could have the box. No child has ever been prouder of any toy than he was of that box. He entertained himself for the remainder of the weekend!

That box became a magnificent pirate ship. S got his dad, Kevin, to make him some swords out of cardboard. A piece of packing material became a pirate hat. He asked for something to use to "tie the boat to the dock." He and I went searching for something he could use for that. We agreed on one of Poppy's ties. Poppy was glad to donate one to the cause--He doesn't wear ties anymore and never did particularly like them!

When his family got ready to leave s wanted to take his ship with him. There were TEARS when his parents told him it had to stay at Grandmama's house. I suggested that his other grandmother, who lives next door to him, might have some cardboard. He tearfully assured me, "Nanny never has cardboard!"

Now, I know Nanny! First of all, girlfriend can SHOP--Something has to come in a box! More importantly, she would move heaven and earth to get cardboard for that little boy if he asked for it. But at that moment, he thought he would never see a cardboard box again. He was not a happy child as he left with this parents. I assured him the box would stay in the garage. It is still there, ready to become anything he wants it to be.

Is it necessary to have all the latest and greatest? Of course not. Is it OK to have it? I think it is, if it is reasonable to do so. Do most people have it all? I doubt it. I imagine most of us have quite often used the cardboard box philosophy--make do with what you have. After all, the old cardboard box can be anything you want it to be!

Here's Pirate S Guy to prove it!


Pirate Boy
Note the "rope" that secures the ship to the "dock."

Pirate Boy in Hat

Labels: , ,


  posted at 4:33 PM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At June 12, 2007 at 5:11 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I'm glad you remembered this story because it goes along with the theme perfectly. I know how magical cardboard boxes can be -- my grandchildren have enjoyed them. Thanks for getting your thoughts in print!

 
At June 12, 2007 at 5:31 PM, Blogger Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

What a handsome little pirate! He sounds like he's cut from the same cloth as my son...we've been pirates & crew for over a year now.

Enjoyed your post!

 
At June 12, 2007 at 6:51 PM, Blogger Susie said...

Absolutely delightful post! You have a "precious pirate" (but he probably wants to be a "fierce pirate!")
xo

 
At June 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Cute story and I totally agree. My children loved to play in a box---- all 4 of them at different times.
Susan

 
At June 12, 2007 at 7:22 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Myrna - You would think that by now some genius would have thought about making cardboard boxes for kids!! It seems to be the universal favorite toy!!
It's funny - we know better really, but somehow we just think our precious little ones have to have everything. And really they are content with very little - as long as they are loved.
Great post.

 
At June 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Myrna,,,,,,what a handsome pirate....would give Johnny Depp a run for his money...

I selected you for the meme 'I Dream...' in the sense of dreams coming true...

I posted mine tonight and I hope you will participate....Thanks Betty

 
At June 12, 2007 at 10:20 PM, Blogger Montserrat said...

There's been many a time my kids have enjoyed the box a toy came in much more than the toy itself.

 
At June 13, 2007 at 6:55 AM, Blogger Momma Roar said...

What a terrific post!! I have to remove boxes at naptime or else our house would be filled with them!

 
At June 13, 2007 at 8:48 AM, Blogger Lei said...

My children have always preferred the box to its contents! I recently did a blog review of a sweet little children's book about this very thing.

Thanks for participating!

 
At June 13, 2007 at 9:41 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

What a cute little pirate! Boxes make such fun toys. It looks like your son has a wonderful imagination!
Kelli

 
At June 13, 2007 at 2:29 PM, Blogger retha said...

I just love the wonderful 'reality' in children' minds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
PSALM 121--MY SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY
SHOW AND TELL--TREASURES FROM ISRAEL
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
SWEET GRANDPARENT TIME
AND THE ANSWER IS. . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHICH ONE IS FALSE?????????
SHOW AND TELL--EMBROIDERED TREASURES
IS IT A MACHINE? IS IT A DEVICE! WHY NOT CALL IT A...
Monday, May 28, 2007 ...
MEMORIAL DAY 2007

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: