Monday, June 4, 2007
AND THE ANSWER IS. . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANSWERS TO MY MEME
THANKS FOR PLAYING ALONG WITH ME!

For this meme I gave nine statements about myself. One of them is false. Let's see how many people I fooled. The item with the most votes was #4 with four votes. Two people chose #3; one person each chose #5 and #8; and one hoped it wasn't #9. Here's the real scoop!

1. TRUE A third grade girl once told me that her grandmother was just half human-being.
Imagine a precious little girl standing with her hand pointing to the middle of her forehead. She took her hand and drew an imaginary line through her face, over her nose, through the middle of her mouth and on down the middle of her chest. Then she motioned to the right side of her face and said,"My gran'mama is half Indian. This side is Indian and the rest is just plain human bein'!" One of my favorite stories--Kids say the darndest things!

2. TRUE A Dad sent his wife to tell me that she and I were to climb into the trash dumpster and find the retainer that their son accidentally threw away. Dad had determined that the loss was our (Mom and Me) fault that the retainer was lost!!! Uh-No! I did not get in the dumpster. I didn't lose a retainer--At least not that one. I lost a couple of my own--Until my own dad made it very clear I was not to "accidentally" throw another one away!

3. TRUE When I was an assistant principal I had principals that talked me into dressing as Dolly Parton and a large blue piece of the candy that melts in your mouth not in your hand. Of course this had to do with meeting fund raising goals. ! I love those two people to this day, but I determined when I was a principal I would NOT dress up to get money. Well, there was the time I wore pajamas to school--and, er, there was that funky chicken dance, the "jail" at the carnival, and . . . What principals will do to make a buck for the school!

4. FALSE I rode with the principal and some other teachers in a hot air balloon to promote our new school. There was a hot air balloon and it was in honor of the school we had just opened. But, I stayed with my feet firmly on the ground and helped the children release their own balloons into the air! (You know those things get rather HIGH--Which I'm not crazy about doing in an open BASKET with a FIRE underneath it!) The people in the balloon were met by the police when they landed in a nearby field--that happened to belong to a National Historical Landmark. Seems they didn't have permission to land there. I think when they explained the situation everyone agreed the former president who had lived there--way back in the 1800s-- would have approved of their using his field to land. (Just a note--the hot air balloon ride was provided free by the pilot--no school money used)

5. TRUE As a principal I learned to always have chocolate, Mi*dol, ibuprofen, and an open door for teachers in need. Of course! And coffee, and occasional donuts!


6. TRUE I have held kindergarten children on my lap during story time, read book after book to others, and let some take a nap on a mat in my office to help them get through the first day without their mommies. One of the best things about working in an elementary school is watching kindergarten children come in as barely more than babies and leave at the end of the year as confident, happy learners! They are precious and I always considered it a privilege as principal to be "on call" for kindergartners--especially during those tender first weeks of school.

7. TRUE One time I heard a mother ask another one, "Does she (meaning me, the principal) think she's in charge or something." My son, who teaches English and coaches basketball at an academic magnet high school says, "If a principal hasn't heard that at least once he/she is probably not doing the job right!"


8. TRUE I once encountered a little boy coming out of the restroom, adjusting his zipper, as he sang, "It takes two hands to handle a whopper!" Some of you will remember the jingle from Bur*ger K*ing with that phrase. This was in my first year of teaching--in Texas-- and I was always surprised by what little boys would do! No more--after raising two at our house!


9. TRUE I was assistant principal at a school that had its own groundhog living under the building.
This was in an old high school building being used as an "annex" to an elementary school while a new school was being built to handle the growth in the community. We had a big field behind the school. Behind that field--and down a hill--there was a small creek. There was a variety of animals that lived on the edge of the creek--we would sometimes see them, or signs of them as they came and went from their homes. There was a big daddy Groundhog, a mama, and some babies that set up housekeeping for a while in a hole they dug under the warm boiler room in the back of the building. It was not an area where children ever went, but they could see the animals from some windows on a side hallway. We used it as a learning experience until the babies were large enough for the family to be encouraged to move their home.

So there you have it! A glimpse into life in an elementary school! One thing for sure--It's a place where you are never bored and can always feel needed. I know my professional career was directed by the Lord. I am thankful for having done it and enjoyed almost every minute of it!

I tagged a couple of people in the first post. If you want to do this meme, consider yourself tagged. It's a fun way to tell us some of your life story. Go for it!

  posted at 9:09 PM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At June 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At June 4, 2007 at 10:59 PM, Blogger Susie said...

This was a fun meme! (did I tell you I have actually been up in a hot air balloon?) Quite the experience!!
xo

 
At June 4, 2007 at 11:02 PM, Blogger Rising Rainbow said...

This looks like it was fun! I think I will remember the half human being.

 
At June 5, 2007 at 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've had some great experiences. Love the little boy and the Whopper song! And Susie - I'm jealous - I really want to take a hot air balloon flight!

 
At June 5, 2007 at 5:14 AM, Blogger Susan said...

That was fun. Real life is so much fun if we'll just allow ourselves to enjoy it!
Susan

 
At June 5, 2007 at 7:12 AM, Blogger eph2810 said...

What a great way to introduce yourself to the blogging community.
I think that #1 and 8 are my favorite. Kids do and say the funniest things.
Be blessed today and always.

 
At June 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Art Linkletter! And now I am really giving up my age aren't I??

Oh now that WAS fun. I had the right answer but for the wrong reasons. I am posting mine tomorrow. I have had fun getting it ready. We'll see how YOU do. Thanks!

 
At June 6, 2007 at 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This was so fun to read. I loved numbers 6 (although my kids are grown I aided for a kindergarten teacher and remember those first days) and of course #8, I laughed right out loud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
WHICH ONE IS FALSE?????????
SHOW AND TELL--EMBROIDERED TREASURES
IS IT A MACHINE? IS IT A DEVICE! WHY NOT CALL IT A...
Monday, May 28, 2007 ...
MEMORIAL DAY 2007
SHOW AND TELL FRIDAY--THE DOLL SHELF
BORROWIN', STEALIN' AND GRABBIN'
WOMAN TO WOMAN==CELEBRATE ME
If you have been following the saga of the disappe...
MONDAY MORSELS

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: