Friday, June 1, 2007
SHOW AND TELL--EMBROIDERED TREASURES
Treasures From Rachel

It's time for Show and Tell!
If you want to get in on the fun
run right on over to Kelli's at
There's No Place Like Home.

This week for Show and Tell I want to share with you some family treasures that hang on the walls in my home. These are embroidered pictures which were done for me by my stepmother, Rachel. Rachel married my Dad, Charlie, in 1961, when I was fifteen. My Dad passed away in 1989. Rachel and her daughter, Carol, are still very much a part of my family. Rachel will be 92 in July. She lives in Texas and still has her own home, but stays with Carol for several months of the year. She is always ready for a family get together. I look forward to the next time we are together.

Rachel has quite a talent for needlework. She has made many pictures similar to these for her nieces, as well as my sister and stepsister. Her brother-in-law, Leroy, has done almost all of the framing for the pictures. Although some of the frames were purchased, he made many of them in the workshop behind his home. Rachel signs and dates all of the work on the back so that we have a permanent record for posterity. All of us who have her pieces of her work appreciate the time and effort she put into the pictures and are honored to display them in our homes.

This lovely picture of little birds
currently hangs in my guest bathroom.
There are two notes on the back.
The first one says," I completed this picture in Nov '92.
Leroy put it in the frame Sunday afternoon, 11-15-92.
The second note says,
"10-12-94
To Myrna and L
Love, Rachel"


The grouping shown below, which depict the four seasons,
currently hangs in the small hallway outside our guest bedrooms.
The note on the back of the autumn scene says,

"Myrna, I hope you will enjoy these pictures, The Four Seasons.
My love for you is not seasonal. You are a dear!
Frames made and pictures framed by Leroy B.

I love you,
Rachel

June 1980"



This Irish Blessing hangs in my back hallway
near the doll shelf that I shared in an earlier Show and Tell.
The note on the back says,
"To Myrna,
I love you,
Rachel
7/25/82"


I hope you have enjoyed Show and Tell at Cherish. . . the word!
Let's go to Kelli's and see what other people have to share.

  posted at 12:03 AM  
  21 comments



21 Comments:
At June 1, 2007 at 4:05 AM, Blogger Marci said...

How special!! What a wonderful treasure you have in their gifts of love!!!

 
At June 1, 2007 at 5:30 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Very nice. Lots and lots of time and love in those pieces.
Susan

 
At June 1, 2007 at 6:12 AM, Blogger Kim said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At June 1, 2007 at 7:33 AM, Blogger LadySnow said...

Those are beautiful!

 
At June 1, 2007 at 7:52 AM, Blogger LBP said...

They are very pretty pictures! It's wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your stepmom.

Linda

 
At June 1, 2007 at 8:53 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Wow! Those are all lovely! The birds almost look like a watercolor..your stepmom is very talented! I love anything to do with the 4 seasons so I especially enjoyed seeing those beautiful pictures. What wonderful treasures!
Kelli

 
At June 1, 2007 at 9:03 AM, Blogger Trudi said...

They are so pretty. What a good thing to charish.

 
At June 1, 2007 at 9:25 AM, Blogger Paula said...

What wonderful handiwork! I think it's wonderful that you have a close relationship after all these years.
Blessings,
Mrs. C

 
At June 1, 2007 at 11:16 AM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

That is so sweet. How nice to put a note on them for you.

 
At June 1, 2007 at 11:27 AM, Blogger Lyndy said...

What a wonderful treasure with so much love put into it by Rachel. That is wonderful you had/have such a special relationship with her.

Have a blessed weekend.

Lyndy

 
At June 1, 2007 at 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those are beautiful treasures. I have seen the 4 seasons before. From years ago somewhere. Or, maybe we are long lost relatives and I have been to your house. Wouldn't that be fun??

 
At June 1, 2007 at 12:44 PM, Blogger Trudi said...

About the gumball machine. Oh so true, never thaught about how the teachers will like it. I'm looking forward to using it, but am going to enjoy my ten weeks of no school for now. In fact, I'm waiting for release right now. Can't wait.

 
At June 1, 2007 at 12:46 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

What a blessing and talent!!
I would love to try to do something like the seasons...I would just hope I could do one per season...teehee...I'm slow at it myself!
:)

 
At June 1, 2007 at 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog name. Thanks for visiting my blog today. Blessings!

 
At June 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

So beautiful...and even more to be treasured by someone who has been special in your life!

 
At June 1, 2007 at 7:05 PM, Blogger Jenn4Him said...

My step-grandmother have given me some of her needle works over the year and I cherish them as well. Those are lovely.

 
At June 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I like all of the embroidered pictures that your step mom made for you.
They are pretty.
What neat treasures to have.

I have many embroidered dish clothes, and dresser scarves from my mom and grandma. They are nice to have.

 
At June 2, 2007 at 5:39 AM, Blogger Henny Penny said...

How lovely! She surely was blessed with a remarkable talent!

 
At June 2, 2007 at 4:04 PM, Blogger Lynne said...

They are all lovely, but I especially like the four seasons. your stepmother one talented lady!

 
At June 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM, Blogger Julieann said...

What lovely tresures!!

Thank you for coming by my show and tell too---you have a very nice blog:)

Julieann:0

 
At June 4, 2007 at 7:13 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Those are really beautiful embroideries!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
IS IT A MACHINE? IS IT A DEVICE! WHY NOT CALL IT A...
Monday, May 28, 2007 ...
MEMORIAL DAY 2007
SHOW AND TELL FRIDAY--THE DOLL SHELF
BORROWIN', STEALIN' AND GRABBIN'
WOMAN TO WOMAN==CELEBRATE ME
If you have been following the saga of the disappe...
MONDAY MORSELS
WHERE ARE MY PICTURES?
THE FUN AND FANTASTIC FOUR

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: