Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Down Memory Lane
The story of my quick trip to Texas is going to turn into several posts. Some of you blogging friends are meeting the cast of characters in this story for the first time. Family members, my sweet lurkers, know the characters well!


Friday afternoon my sisters, brother-in-law, and I had time to take a little trip down memory lane. At least it was down memory lane for Barbara and me. Carol and Wimpy have heard some of these stories enough throughout their lives that they probably thought they had lived them also. However, I think Carol may have learned some family history that was new to her on this trip.

We visited Denton that afternoon. My family lived there when I was very young--early 1950s. We moved from there after my mother died in 1953. My Dad passed away in 1989 and both of them are buried there. Our first stop was the cemetery.

I can't tell you the whole story about going to the cemetery. What happens in Denton stays in Denton! I'll just say--We got just a tad lost. We still all love each other--Even if some of us are directionally challenged!

You can tell from this picture that it is the old style cemetery--With large headstones and lots of trees. Carol commented that it is like the cemeteries you see in movies. It is a very quiet and peaceful place.

This is me (on the left) with my sisters.
Can you tell which one is the step sister? I guess we all are, right? You know what I mean! When we were younger people would sometimes guess wrong. There is sort of a resemblance. Anyway--My step sister is the one in the middle--Carol. She is the youngest in the family. The other is Barbara, my older sister. (Our oldest sister, Jeannette, passed away last year).

This is Barbara
with her husband, W.M. (AKA Wimpy)





We drove by some of the places that Barbara and I remembered from our early childhood years. We went through downtown. This stately courthouse is in the center of downtown. They don't build such ornate courthouses anymore, do they?




Another interesting building that we remember well is on the campus of Texas Women's University. It is the Little Chapel in the Woods. Our older sister was married there in 1953. she was a student at what was then known as Texas State College for Women. Our niece, Paula, was married there just a few years ago. She graduated from TWU.

Barbara and I remember coming to the campus with mother often to visit the gardens just outside the chapel. At that time we lived just a block from the campus.

Interestingly, Carol's mother, my stepmother, also attended this college. Carol remembered some of the stories that Rachel used to tell about going to school in Denton.

We drove past the last place our family lived in Denton. The house is no longer there. A small apartment complex was built on that lot years ago. Most of the other houses on the block are still there. Barbara and I reminisced about our childhood friends. lemonade stands, roller skating, and other childhood pastimes. Barbara could name every child in every family on that street! Amazing!


We lived in this house before moving to the last Denton house. It is certainly showing its age now. It was never a mansion, but it was home. My family moved several times when I was very young. This is the first house I remember vividly. I was probably two or three when we moved to it. See the little step to the porch? That's where I broke my arm running to ask Mother for money for the ice cream man!



I wish I could have gone to the back of the house. However, it appeared that no one was home and I didn't want to trespass. There is a creek back there where we had many happy times. My mother would make picnic lunches and go with us to the creek bank to enjoy our sandwiches. The house on the right is where I saw TV for the first time!


I know you may be thinking, "She said she was going to Texas to see her brother. Where is he?" He was busy with other things on Friday afternoon. So, we took that time to go on this little memory lane trip. I will share the rest of the Texas trip another day.

Labels: ,


  posted at 10:59 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At August 29, 2007 at 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just loved reading this. It reminded me of my childhood and how I too, can remember the names of every kid who lived on our street. I still live in the same hometown. Thanks for sharing and I hope you share more.

 
At August 29, 2007 at 7:13 AM, Blogger Susan said...

I love the old buildings. When we traveled we always took time to visit the old courthouses, etc. That one is beautiful.
Susan

 
At August 29, 2007 at 7:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is so much fun. I love going back to follow old trails. They bring back so many wonderful memories. I've done that myself from time to time.

That courthouse reminds me of the old one in the town my husband grew up in. The town square is all around it, and they try hard to keep it going but malls have taken a toll on history. It just isn't the same.

I loved seeing your picture. You are as sweet and friendly looking as I imagined you to be.

 
At August 29, 2007 at 8:56 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Myrna:-) I'm finally catching up with your news! I so enjoyed this post, isn't it wonderful to be able to go back to your old neighbourhood and relive your childhood memories! Loved seeing all the photos!! My prayers are with your brother, looking forward to hearing how your visit with him went:-) xox

 
At August 29, 2007 at 11:16 AM, Blogger someone else said...

I love the pictures of your little white house. It's such a cute house. Thanks for the trip down your memory lane.

 
At August 29, 2007 at 4:07 PM, Blogger Linda said...

What a great post Myrna. It is such fun to go back and visit the places that hold special memories. I love the pictures!

 
At August 30, 2007 at 10:02 AM, Blogger Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I loved reading about your childhood and memories. It sounds like you all had a great time...family...the best.

If I was going to break my arm...I would want it to be on a mission after ice cream too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Back From My Native Land
Returned to original post site/date on August 31, ...
Fall Bible Study at Cherish...the Word!
Alphabet Soup--Brought to You by the Letter F
Praise You in the Storm
A Little Saturday Randomness
I NEED A LITTLE HELP, FRIENDS!
Wordless Wednesday--Exuberance!
Back to School!
Shackles

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: