Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Week One--Broken Hearts, Broken Ties
We are back on schedule--Well, actually we are behind, but you know what I mean! We just have a new schedule now. I'm sorry about canceling last week. There are just some things that don't happen on our schedule. I appreciate the comments from so many kind blogging friends on the passing of my brother. When I visited Charles three weeks before he died we discussed my blog. He read it on a regular basis--lurking, don't you know. He was fascinated by the whole blogging community and really liked that I was doing this Bible study. I am certain that he would encourage me to get back to it. So--Here we go! Just in case you haven't read the plans for Fall Bible Study--You can go here to get the basic guidelines. The main thing is to let us know you are studying along with us, link up here, and post at your place about whatever is on your mind concerning the lesson we are focusing on for the week.

Week One
Broken Hearts, Broken Ties

Bible Study Buzz At My House
We had a great time together this week. All of the ladies who came the first week were back. I was so glad to see them! I had been a little concerned that perhaps we had not been into the study long enough when we had to take a break. I was afraid someone might drop out. God was faithful to us and brought us all back together. What a precious group of women!

I want to share my Bible study spot with you this week.
Actually, I have a couple of
places that I sometimes work. However, I think this one is best for me right now--my kitchen table. This is what it looks like when I am studying.


I bring the computer in here because I can use Bible Gateway, particularly to read some of the longer passages. This allows me to work faster; however, I really like having the Bible in my hands. Therefore, I don't use the computer for all my work. I oftten make notes in my Bible, and the computer just won't work for that!

I am also keeping a journal with this Bible study. I'm just using a simple little spiral notebook. It allows me to make notes that I want to share with the other women in the study. I had several available the first night so the ladies could have one if they wished. I also had pens and highlighters for them. And of course the goody bowl full of little Bible study aids--lights, bookmarks, etc. How do you study? Do you have a favorite spot where you work? What
makes your spot special or unique?


Studying God's Word
This is my reflection/review/summary of Week One of A Woman's Heart, by Beth Moore

We certainly covered a lot of ground in this first week. We went from the Garden of Eden to the Exodus of Moses and the Israelites from Egypt. What a journey we took!

There are several ways to approach the review/summary of these lessons each week and we may not
use the same format every week. I want to give a fairly simple reflection of what I, and/or the other ladies in my home study group, discovered as we worked. This week I'm going to use Beth's principal questions for the week as my jumping off point. You can find them on page 8 in your study book.

1. Why were the Israelites to build the tabernacle?(p.8)
God wanted a place to "dwell" among his people. That sounds so simple, and it really is. He wants to be with us, talk with us, live with us. However looking at the parallels between the Garden of Eden and the tabernacle helped me to put the "dwelling" and "sanctuary" concepts into perspective. God was giving his people a new place to meet with him. He was providing what Beth referred to as a "ministry of reconciliation" as referred to in 2 Corinthians 5:18. (p.11)

Over and over in the margins of my book I have written phrases such as "He wants to meet," He is in pursuit," and "Where are you!" God is continually pursuing us, asking us to listen, giving us opportunity to respond, providing us with places and times to meet with him. He does expect to dwell with us. The Israelites were instructed to build the tabernacle for that reason. This study becomes very personal! I was really impressed by the fact that God is pursuing me. He wants to dwell with me! I know that in this season of my life I have many questions about God's plan for me. I think he may just be using this study to get my attention for those plans. Beth underscores that idea when she says, "I believe God appoints our journeys through His Word to correspond with our current life seasons." (p12) It was interesting to listen to the women in our group talk and realize that there are so many different seasons of life represented in the group. We have one mother of young children, several grandmothers, two retirees, one widow, one who has four generations currently living in her house, and at least one anticipating a move in the next few months. Yet, we have all been led to this study. What is ahead for us? Where are we? Friends who are reading this review, but not doing the study in the book--I encourage you to read Exodus 25:1-2, 8-9and Genesis1:26-3:24.


2. What is the human heart like apart from fellowship with God?
The simple summation of this is that God loves us and wants fellowship with us. Again, it is more complicated than that. Oh! We loved this on Monday night--"God created us because He delights in us! (p13) Isn't that great! He delights in us! He delighted in Noah also. He destroyed all other people, saving only Noah and his family. Well, after all, Noah was doing what God wanted--the others were not. You know the story--Genesis 6:10-9:19, After God destroyed the earth, He made a covenant with Noah. God keeps His covenants. We are given the choice to make and keep covenants with Him--covenants to serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15.

3. How did God respond to what He saw at the tower of Babel?
In our study group we had a little laugh over this one. Don't misunderstand, we were not disrespectful. But, really, you don't want to get God angry! God told Noah and his sons to be fruitful and multiply. The people decided they would all stay in Babel and build a tower. They just didn't want to scatter all over the earth. Well, you know what happened--God scattered them--Genesis 11. Beth makes a point about God sometimes calling us out of our comfort zones to do things we might not choose for ourselves--I'm paraphrasing here. (p21) Wow! This was certainly another moment of truth for our Monday night group. We could all tell of times in our past, or current situations, in which our talents and skills hae been stretched. When was the last time you were called out of your comfort zone to follow the Lord's plan? What did you learn from the experience?

4. What did God preach to Abraham?
God preached the Gospel to Abraham.Trying to explain this portion of the study in a review is difficult for me--If you are studying along in the book you read it, too. It just blew me away! I believe this was one of the most exciting parts of this week's lesson for me. The difficulty in reviewing it is that I want to tell the whole thing the way Beth did--and she already did that!

Let me just say--Seeing the connection between the story of Abram and God in the Old Testament (Genesis 15) and the gift of His Son for us in the New Testament was a revelation. This was, of course, not the first time for me to study this passage. But, seeing it through new eyes and with renewed understanding. Wow!

Our group had a lively discussion about the thorns in which the ram in the Old Testament was caught (Genesis 22:13) and the thorns on the brow of the Lamb of God in the New Testament (John 1:29). Another WOW!

Philippians 2:8-11 (NIV)
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

5. By what name did God tell Moses to call Him to the Israelites?
Exodus 3:14 "I am who I am.
This is what you are to say
to the Israelites:
"I AM has sent me to you.' "


We reached Moses! Can the tabernacle be far behind! Our group delighted in the story of Moses going up the mountain--and leaving groups behind at their designated stations. (Exodus 24) We didn't quite act it out, but we were close! And we get to the point where God tells Moses to build a place for him to dwell.

Exodus 25:8 Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them.

I'm going to leave you with this image. This is a picture of Mt. Sinai. Exodus 24:12 says, "The Lord said to Moses, "Come up to Me on the mountain. . ." Moses had to take quite a walk in order to obey the Lord that day!

Looking Ahead
I can't wait to see where we go next! I hope you have a great week in The Word. We will meet back here next Wednesday to see what we have learned. I know some of you are at different places in the study. If you would just indulge those of us who just started and review/summarize the week we are on here at Cherish. . .the word!

Please leave a link to your blog if you are posting about Fall Bible Study. Remember to leave a comment also. Thank you!

Just a note--blogger has gone crazy on me! I can't get it to leave the size of the type the way I want it. I have tried, and tried. I'm going to bed now--I'll try again tomorrow! I hope you haven't gone cross-eyed trying to read this post with crazy size type changing every paragraph! :-)

Labels:


  posted at 2:43 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At September 26, 2007 at 8:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Myrna, as you know I am not seeing the videos or going through the book, but I have decided to read along with you and use your questions for my own study every week.

I am teaching a bible study now, but it is one that I did over the summer to prepare for the fall, so I need more of a challenge and some new 'stuff'.

Anyway, I am asking that you continue to post the portions of scripture that the questions go with, so that those of us who are 'reading along' as you say, can be better equipped to do so.

I appreciate that. Now, I am off to 'study' with you. Thanks.

 
At September 26, 2007 at 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Myrna, about your comment ... don't tell anyone but you win. I'll have to do a recycling post tomorrow.

 
At September 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM, Blogger Tammy said...

Hi Myrna...
Is it OK if I just say I am going to try and jump in when I can? I'm going to be doing Beth Moore's Daniel study this fall through a woman's group at church, and I can see there will be a lot of reading! But I want to read along in this study when I can from time to time...because from what I read after receiving this study book, I love!

So glad your group in your home went so well and that all the ladies returned!

 
At September 27, 2007 at 9:20 AM, Blogger Myrna said...

Tammy,
You are welcome to read along. This whole thing is an experiment. Obviously it needs some tweaking! I will continue to post every Wednesday because there are several who are reading along--but don't want to post. Some are non-blogging lurker friends, and some are bloggers who are actually doing the study but don't want to post. Whatever--I'll be here and everyone is welcome to do what works!

This study is phenomenal. My Monday night group is enjoying it--MUCH!

I encourage you to read along--but don't compromise your other study. I know you will enjoy Daniel. Doing two studies at the same time would be very difficult.

 
At September 27, 2007 at 9:55 AM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Myrna...can you please email me your home address? I've got to get everyones addresses for the Halloween Swap:-) Thank you!! My email is carole_57@hotmail.com

 
At September 30, 2007 at 8:32 AM, Blogger Cherdecor said...

Myrna, I am really getting a lot out of this study. Thank you so much for setting this up and for putting my name in the drawing for the book. I love learning new principles from the Word. Living them out in the flesh is not so easy but God is helping me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Fall Into Reading
A Little Bloggy Business--A LIttle Bloggy Fun
I Can Only Imagine
I'm Back!
Taking a Break!
My Brother
Happy Anniversay--#11!
Another Family Medical Siituation
I Love My Brother Very Much!
Fall Bible Sudy--Introduction

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: