Monday, April 30, 2007
Monday Musings
Great is Thy Faithfulness
For several days I have been hearing in my mind that old hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness." I just haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Now, I'm not musical AT ALL! I definitely fall in the category of "make a joyful NOISE!" Thank goodness someone else was "singing" the song in my mind because if it had been me I might not have recognized the tune! Admittedly, it has a somewhat draggy tune--not peppy at all; but the words do have a message. I just couldn't get away from it.

After "hearing" the song several times, I went searching for the scripture on which the it is based--and the exact words. Thank you, Lord, for leading me to these verses--

21
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him."
Lamentations 3: 21-24

These verses are just the reminder and encouragement I have been needing the last few days. How wonderful that we have hope because His mercy and compassion never fail. In fact, we start each day with a fresh abundance of his tender mercies--we will never be without His loving stability. His merciful love is ours. He is our portion--our destiny. All we have to do is trust, expect, and wait for His answers.

The writer of the song, Thomas Chisolm, interprets the scripture for us in the words of his hymn of praise to the Lord:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God, my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Summer, and winter, springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Chorus
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness , Lord, unto me!

Labels: ,


  posted at 7:58 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At May 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful post!!!! Thanks for signing up for the scavenger hunt starting Tuesday morning!!!

 
At May 1, 2007 at 6:06 PM, Blogger Susie said...

I am also not a singer, but I love many of the old hymns. They have such beautiful messages for us.

 
At May 1, 2007 at 6:21 PM, Blogger someone else said...

That's one of my favorite hymns and I can't tell you how many times the words have ministered to my heart!

 
At May 2, 2007 at 8:43 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks for stopping by daily blessings. Yes, it sounds like teachers everywhere get the same workshops! I love the old hymns too and the message they deliver to us gives me inspiration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
TO PLAY OR NOT TO PLAY--NAME GAME
Woman to Woman--Enduring Health Issues
Monday Musings
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Dora Dress
Failing Grandparenting 101
Thursday Thirteen #2
God Is In Control
Monday Musings
Love, Honor, and Cherish
What Do You Want For Your Birthday?

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: