Monday, April 16, 2007
Monday Musings
Little deeds of kindness, little words of love,
Help to make earth happy like the heaven above.
--Julia Fletcher Carney, Little Things, 1845

Mr. L (also known as ph--precious husband) and I have had opportunity many times in the last two years to be on the receiving end of deeds of kindness. For that, and so many other things, we are very grateful. We thank God for friends!

This weekend I was having somewhat of a pity party. You know the kind--"Not an all out boo! hoo! Woe is me! Everybody leave me alone while I complain and cry!'--embarassing public pity party. But, a "I'm tired and feeling down" little private party. I was the hostess and only guest! I was just feeling a little sorry for myself and just a bit lonely!

How wrong! I knew all along that I was wrong, but I had the visible evidence of that this morning! Thank you, Lord--and friends--for that display of caring this morning. I went to the mailbox today to get the usual load of catalogs and bills. And there--the evidence of friends thinking of us! Five--count'em, 5--cards expressing concern, love and caring for Mr. L and me.

In addition to the cards, we received several friendly emails today. Those were mainly in response to Mr. L emailing some friends about my blogging endeavor. I guess he thought I needed help rounding up some readers. That was not a part of my pity party--I may get to that point, but I'm not there now!

Look who we heard from today--
S--First she was my friend, but also loves Mr. L. Her card was to him--funny with a handwritten note that showed so much concern for his well being. She and I have been friends for about 30 years. We are the kind of friends who may not see each other for two years and can take up the conversation as if we haven't taken a breath.

T--A business friend of L. I have met her maybe two times--the last time when we met for lunch in Chicago two years ago. The card was addressed to our family.

D--A church prayer team card written and signed as she took her place in the prayer room to pray for us and others. She has been a friend for many years--our children grew up together in our church.

R--A relatively new friend who wrote me a note to just say she loves us. We didn't know R until last year and now she is special in our lives.

A group--A card signed by several friends who work together. Precious Godly people!

Such a variety of people. People from three different states. People who have never met and have no connection to one another in our lives.

Let me hasten to add that from the beginning of Lee's critical illness two years ago we have been covered up with prayers and love. We receive cards, notes, letters, emails, gifts, and visits on a regular basis. We know there are people who remember us daily in prayer and conversation. We appreciate all of that more than we can ever express! It's just that there was such a display of love on a day when I really needed to be lifted up. I know it was an answer to my little pity party!

Let me also say that I am aware of the pain several people in the blogging world are experiencing right now. Even though I have read Heather's blog and admired her design work, I do not know her or Kelli--even in the blogging sense of knowing someone. My pitifullness this weekend was not even one small fraction of a fraction of what those two ladies, and others that some of you know, are going through. I am very aware of that!

All of this has made me think about my own response to people who are hurting, lonely, or experiencing a bad day. I'm pretty good at listening to a friend who is hurting. I have friends that call me when they need compassion. I listened and advised people for years in my office at school--many teachers knew they could vent to me about problems. But, the unanticipated acts of kindness have never been my strength. Now, in this season of my life when I am at home most of the time, it is difficult to do things like visit or cook a meal for someone. I also don't have the time to give to organing an undertaking such as Boomama and other friends are doing for Heather and others like her. But, I know I can do more--more of the little acts of kindness for the people I know in real life--and maybe in the blogging world when the time is right.

So, today's musings about unneeded pity parties and acts of kindness have led me to a small personal commitment. I'm going to share it here in order to impose a little accountability on myself. I commit to remembering people more often. This means I will get my self organized (writing/postage supplies, etc.) and write and send notes of encouragement, concern, and care to friends on a regular basis. I am talking about the unexpected contact when I am aware of a need--the follow up to the more obvious incidents.

You are welcome to check with me later to see if I have kept the promise!








  posted at 4:11 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At April 17, 2007 at 3:40 PM, Blogger someone else said...

Hi Myrna,
First let me say I love your blog. I love the way you express yourself. I like the fact that we appear to be of the same generation. (Our song is also by the Association -- "Never, My Love") We've been married about the same length of time and have two married children, and six grandchildren.

Welcome to the fun, fun world of women bloggers. There are so many really wonderful blogging buddies, I know you're going to enjoy yourself.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today and letting me know you're out there. Come back any time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Love, Honor, and Cherish
What Do You Want For Your Birthday?
B-r-r-r! Is It Really Easter?
Thursday Thirteen #1
Starting at the Beginning

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: