Friday, September 7, 2007
Show and Tell--A Treasure Chest

It's time for Friday Show and Tell!
Run over to Kelli's to get all the info.
Sign up and join in the fun!


Today I am showing something new. Last week I showed you one of my little boxes; today we have a big box.

I had been wanting some sort of "coffee table" to put in front of my small couch in our living room. I liked the idea of a trunk or chest, but every one of them seemed to have something wrong--too big, too small, top not level, top too bumpy, lid had lock, wrong color, etc. Last week I had just a few free minutes while I was out running errands. I ran by a local discount home decor store, just to look at fall decorations. I wasn't even thinking about this particular decorating dilemma.

Back in the far back corner of the store I stumbled upon a large assortment of chests, trunks, and other large and small box type containers. They had two or three sizes of these. style.

I didn't happen to have a measuring tape in my purse, so I pulled out a trusty dollar bill--six inches, you know--and measured the chests. This one seemed to be a fit, was flat and smooth on top, probably a color that would work, and offered some extra storage. It only had one negative--a clasp that could be "locked". I didn't want that for child safety reasons. It was easy to remove part of it when I got it home. No one can get locked inside!

I brought it home, removed the offending clasp, put a black tray on it, and decorated the tray with a candle and a few fall leaves. (At our house candles are not lit because of oxygen use, but we still get the scent--I cut the wick so short that no one can accidentally light it--we also have safety signs in a couple of strategic places). This is what my new treasure it looks like in the living room.


I have a couple of other places in the house that I could use the chest.
What do you think?
Leave it here or try it somewhere else?


  posted at 12:41 AM  
  18 comments



18 Comments:
At September 7, 2007 at 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it and I like the whole room. So I never realized a dollar bill was 6 inches long. I'll have to tuck that into my memory bank...

 
At September 7, 2007 at 2:46 PM, Blogger LadySnow said...

What a great find. I think the trunk looks very nice in the room. :)

 
At September 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is really pretty. The color is lovely. And I like that style.

 
At September 7, 2007 at 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it right where it is. The color is perfect with the red chair. What a great find.

 
At September 7, 2007 at 3:08 PM, Blogger someone else said...

I say leave it there. It's just beautiful and the room is really lovely. What a great find.

 
At September 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I think it looks just perfect Myrna. What a great find. I love it when I find just what I was looking for. And thanks for that little tip about the dollar bill. I didn't know that!!

 
At September 7, 2007 at 6:35 PM, Blogger Carole Burant said...

That trunk is just perfect in size and colour for your living room! Isn't that always the case though..when you're looking for something, you can't find it but when you're not looking for it, you do! lol xox

 
At September 7, 2007 at 8:44 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Oh I like it there. It goes perfect with the red chair and pillow.
Susan

 
At September 7, 2007 at 10:52 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Very nice, Myrna! It's perfect in your livingroom!!

Kelli

 
At September 8, 2007 at 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought..thanks for the Bible study information. I so appreciate your giving me the heads up. I was a bit confused and so appreciate your clarifying for me :)

 
At September 8, 2007 at 12:11 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Myrna,

I like the chest just where you placed it....it's very attractive....

Thank you for the visit and comment. What a treasure you have in your Mother's class ring....

 
At September 8, 2007 at 1:07 PM, Blogger Reginas Cottage said...

The trunk is perfect for your livin-
room.It's very nice.
Regina

 
At September 8, 2007 at 2:07 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Beautiful treasure chest! I love that style!

Oh, and I wanted to let you know I received my Beth Moore study in the mail yesterday! Thank you, thank you!

I really hope to participate...life is a bit busy, but I'm really hoping to!

 
At September 8, 2007 at 2:34 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I have seen this idea before at a friend's home and really really like it. It adds character to the room! Enjoy~

Jenn

 
At September 8, 2007 at 2:56 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Love it! It looks great where it is.

 
At September 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM, Blogger Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Perfect box, perfect spot! I would leave it there unless you find something you like better later on!

Katherine

 
At September 9, 2007 at 12:49 AM, Blogger ... said...

i like the chest a lot. it looks good there, but i don't know what the rest of your place looks like. isn't it nice to have a piece that is versatile and could be put other places?

 
At September 9, 2007 at 3:33 AM, Blogger Pear tree cottage! said...

And how perfect does it look right there too!!!! well done a great find for your room.

Isn't it always the way when you are looking for something else up pop's the very item you were looking for last week.

I love your show & tell.

Lee-ann ~ Australia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



The Father Cherishes
Isaiah 40:11 (Holman Christian Standard Bible) 11 He protects His flock like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries [them] in the fold of His [garment]. He gently leads. . .

About Me
Name:
Myrna

I am a Christian woman who shares a blessed life with my precious husband, our two adult sons and their wives, and four grandchildren. We cherish the adventures God has allowed us to have together. I recently retired from an over thirty year career as an elementary teacher and administrator.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Are You Ready for Some Football?!!
Fall Bible Study--Preview
Have a Good Labor Day!
I Need Thee Every Hour
Bible Study Giveaway
Show and Tell--BIC1/2
Down Memory Lane
Back From My Native Land
Returned to original post site/date on August 31, ...
Fall Bible Study at Cherish...the Word!

In the Word

Blogs I Visit

Sudoku Fun

Search

Archives
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008

Miscellaneous


Christian Women Online
Blog Ring

Join | List | Random


prayingforHeather-120pix.jpg

Middle Tennessee Time

Credits
Blog Design by:


Powered by:


Meter: